Remarkable

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes, we can. And we did.
That is the mantra that is going through my head every moment after the presidential results were announced last night. We fought and won. It's so amazing. I just... I had so much emotion last night at the election party. It was just so great to see that amazing number pop up on the screen and realize that: it's all over. We've won. Victory feels like the greatest circumstance right now, life is just about to jump out of my skin.
I think there are a lot of people feeling the same way; there are also a lot of people who are disappointed. As Barack Obama put it so eloquently in his victory speech last night, there are always going to be more struggles to come. This is only the beginning on a long road. But, we have gotten past the first step.
I think that it opens up my heart not only because I worked with the campaign and not only because I got to watch a man of color become our president, I think that the win for Obama just symbolizes what hope lets us do. The power of hope has propelled us through the slander, the mud and the muck, and there is no greater picture in my mind then that. Idealism is not dead, and dreams are still possible.
I think, far from the political sphere and the hem-hawing of fans and foes, this election really meant a lot because it excited people. It got them off their seats and curious. And, even for pessimists like myself, it allowed us to embrace our livelihood in a new way. I have never been so proud of America as in this moment.
I think it will be amazing to see someone again as president who I can believe in. As a child of the 90s, I have pined for the happiness of the Clinton years [albeit, I didn't appreciate them due to age and point of reference] and finally I can turn on the television and see a face which, to me, represents the greatness of our country.
As we filter back into our daily lives, knowing that the battles are raging on, I believe there is no better time than now to start something. The world has changed - or at least I feel it so. Let this period of hope carry us through the tough times and may God be with us all.