Caught My Eye: Awkward Black Girl

Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Date is my favorite episode! Find yours at the ABG website.

I love this video series. When I need a good laugh (in between art projects and experiments) I turn to Issa Rae's fantastic series to brighten my day. So why's it so great? Here's a rundown:

Awkward Black Girl is a mini-soap opera about a terrible office job, awkward interactions with co-workers, and the trials of romance. Best of all, it's extremely funny. By using stereotypes ironically and otherwise breaking social expectations of minorities and women, the show appeals to my academic side along with my awkward inner core. With this series, I don't have to choose between seeing people portrayed non-stereotypically and getting a laugh. Which makes me wonder - why isn't all TV like this?

Check out more of what's Caught My Eye and some of my own videos.