Art for Art's Sake

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I've been thinking about the distinction between working art and art that is just for its own sake. I make art of both types, and often the line between the two is faded and blurred (pardon the pun).


For instance, this drawn collage of my left hand (hand-lage!) was created for its own sake. I wanted to draw hands, so I did. But functioning art, such as zines about a specific topic or an informative video piece, carry both entertainment and a purpose beyond being interpreted by the viewer.

But who determines that a piece has this special meaning? Does it have to be a direct one? These questions I have yet to answer for myself - what are your thoughts?

Take a look at some of the different types of art I myself create, such as my DIY collage, photographs, and Creative Every Day project roundup.