I Never Want to Slow Down Tonight...

Monday, January 19, 2009


As I sit here, I hear the song 'Lift Every Voice' chiming away in my head. It's a delicate song - as compared to the regular gospels that I intermittently hear - but something that I really enjoy.
I've found that the MLK rally today really inspired me. I get this way after all gatherings of people working towards peace, I think; there is just an unassailable feeling of unity amidst your fellow beings. So much of today's world is negative in nature and it just influences you to be negative as well. There is often no purpose for it, only that you are angry about the issues and your passion is misplaced rather than focused.
As I sit here, not doing my government homework and ruminating on the workings of the world, I wonder if there will be a difference in the coming years. The Obama administration will be born tomorrow, we will write essays for English class mid-week, our struggles will continue and continue again... will we see ourselves making speeches in front of thousand-sized crowds or will we find ourselves saving the world through recycling the extra milk carton after lunch? Who knows? We'll see.

Do you hear me out there, fellow human beings?
Do you
hear the words that are coming out of my mouth this very second, on this special day, in this sacred place of God that we call “Earth?”
I would like to thank you all for coming out to see this moment, this delicate and transient moment that will soon slip from our fingers forever. Let us honor this moment as we would honor every great day, as we would honor every birth and every death, as we would honor the smile on a child’s face as they first learn to speak, as we would honor the tears streaming down a new bride’s face as she says “yes!”
For we are all here today, together, to learn something new. Something about ourselves that we may have forgotten in that process of growing up. That we have tossed under the rug only to find when we lift up the floorboards – let us
not forget that we are here today to rediscover something lost.
But before we get into all that heavy stuff, I want you to do something for me. It’s very simple.
Breathe in. Breathe out.
Breathe in. Breathe out.
How often do we just get to sit there and take a breath? Surprisingly, not very often. If we are always looking to please some higher desire, then we have forgotten one of the most important parts of giving.
Ourselves.
For we cannot look upon that world “selfish” and find it’s antithesis “selfless” unless we really and truly know what that means. Every human being is selfish – and that’s ok. It’s good for the soul. When you can sit down and take some time just
for yourself, then you have gotten to the root of the matter. Selflessness without grounds and limitations makes for the proliferation of falsity.
Have you ever put on airs that you want to go to a party, but once you get there, you’re miserable? That’s you being selfless. You accept what
other people have decided is good for you – and then you’re lying because of it. So be selfish, ladies and gentlemen! Never give up on your true self, because without it you have nothing to give.
We have forgotten that essential part of our being. When we were kids, everything was about me, me, me. We are taught, of course, that we need to share. That we need to give. That we need to stand up and take notice of other people. And all that is AMAZING! But, every once in a while, we just need to sit back. And breathe.
Breathe in. Breathe out.
Breathe in. Breathe out.
And once you know that you’ve gotten the air into your lungs, that you are looking out over the crowd and seeing your own face reflected there, then you discover:
we are all human beings, breathing together. We are all here, ladies and gentlemen, to find that promised land that resides in all of our souls! We can find it, that little slice of heaven, resting right here on Earth.
Do not forget that you are always a beautiful being;
do not forget that we must have something in order to give. Do not forget! We are here on this Earth to serve others, but the first person that we must serve is always, truly, ourselves.
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and enjoy the rest of your MLK Day!


That was my version of an MLK Day speech - I was inspired by all the voices enough that I thought I would try my own.
As well, the picture is of the fabulously remodeled Garfield High School, which I think is just an amazing place because I am a loser and love classic architecture.

Check out some more posts featuring my photography.
More writing and stories are also available for your reading pleasure.